Tackling IoT challenges with semantic technologies
The application and use of IoT solutions is facing technological, societal and business challenges.
Some of the main challenges are:
- Connectivity: A heterogeneous landscape of wired and wireless connectivity standards are required to enable different application needs. This increases the implementation effort and complexity of solutions.
- Sensing and monitoring: Innovative ways to sense, observe and deliver information from the physical world to the IoT system.
- Information models: Being able to translate the physical world into a format that can be understood and interpreted by the IoT applications. This relates to both existing datasets and streaming data.
- Adaptability and scalability: IoT requires a change in the way organisations design and augment their industrial systems. IoT systems must be adaptive and scalable through software or added functionality that integrates with the overall solution.
- Plan for maintenance and updates: IoT components need to be built by already planing for future maintenance and updates. Adequate system evolution can be guaranteed only trough continuous modification and maintenance to meet changing requirements.
- Flexibility: When developing and deploying an industrial system, it is not enough to simply think about today’s needs or immediate future needs. It is necessary to build on open, integrated hardware and software platforms, to be capable of constantly adapting to changing requirements.
With this workshop, we aim to discover new ways to embrace the opportunities that Semantic Web technologies offer in terms of data modeling, integration, processing, and provisioning as well as in terms of developing flexible and intelligent system solutions. We want to challenge researchers towards developing integrated description and implementation approaches through both paper submissions and interactive on-site discussion and dialog. In particular we are looking for description approaches, formal models, implementation solutions, use cases, and applications that support a IoT solutions based on Semantic Web technologies. See our submission topics for more details.